Friday, July 01, 2005

Ribbons- Symbolic Representation

I have often considered myself apolitical at best, and some have called me ignorant (to my face) at worst. I do not participate in protests or parades that may have an explicit agenda (note: unless you think Memorial Day in the U.S. has an agenda.) However, this does not mean that I do not possess opinions. I merely (and merrily) choose not to choose sides. I will admit that I prefer to avoid conflict, but not at ALL costs.
The news is old by the time I read it and by that time, there is nothing I can do about it. I choose to focus on the comedy rather than the tragedy, on the wonderment rather than the dread, and life rather than death.
But here is a most interesting connection.
Ribbons are used to represent causes, both for and against (though not at the same time) :)
Living in a world where RISKTM is not just a game but a lifestyle, I find the original ribbon presentation http://www.generousgems.com/lg_whtribbon.jpg to be most appropriate for the cause.
Why? Because this runic symbol http://www.runemaker.com/futhark/othila.shtml means “Odal” or “Land”.
And the ribbon I wear proudly is :





I support chocolate.

No comments: